However even in my solitary state, I crave a good conversation and I have found that the best conversations come from strangers. There is something freeing about interacting with strangers just because I know I will never see them again. I have met rather interesting cab drivers and the journey feels short because of the intensity of our conversations.
One cab driver that I met recently, is a Sikh who lived in America for years but then after 9/11 happened, he, along with many other people of color and different religion, got deported for conspiracy and relations to Islam terrorist groups. He then went to New Zealand where he could not apply for permanent residency because of the American government, since it showed on his records that he was deported. At last, after travelling for several years he settled down in Malaysia. He had travelled to a lot of European countries and was talking to me about racism he had faced. He also told me that Malaysia was the easiest country to get citizenship to and before I got off from the cab, he wished me well and told me that he hoped I would marry someone abroad. (Because I told him I hated the citizenship I currently have now)
Then there's one cab driver who saw my tattoos and started talking to me about tattoos and where I was from. He told me I had major balls to act and dress the way I do for someone who comes from such a conservative country and he showed me his one tattoo on his arm that he got when he was 20 years old. (He's in his 50s now)
I was smoking outside the train station, waiting for rain to pass, a couple of months back, and a young looking guy from Bangladesh told me that I looked like his younger sister. He talked about Bangladesh for a bit and how he just got to the country on a work visa. Then we parted ways.
I have met lovely (and not so lovely) people while out and I know snippets from several strangers lives. I don't know their names nor will I see them again but I will always remember, and cherish the conversations we have had.
No comments:
Post a Comment