Saturday, November 22, 2014
Yohji Yamamoto
“Men’s clothing is more pure in design. It’s more simple and has no decoration. Women want that. When I started designing, I wanted to make men’s clothes for women. But there were no buyers for it. Now there are. I always wonder who decided that there should be a difference in the clothes of men and women. Perhaps men decided this.”
How cute is Yohji Yamamoto? I have spent countless hours going through all his interviews and I am in love. I love his clothing, especially for women. Let's be real, whenever I talk about clothing, it's always going to be about women. I know little to none about men's fashion and it does not interest me. Women dressed more masculine and breaking all gender roles, yes. My favorite aspect when it comes to Yohji Yamamoto's dressmaking is that usually, his clothing for women are more masculine and as a tomboy growing up, this appeals to me in various ways. His designs are edgy but not COMME de GARÇONS edgy, yet so simple and chic and sometimes, very boxy. It's minimal, a whole lot of minimal. I also like the lack of high heels on women. I like heels but my god, at what cost? His entire collections are usually so aesthetically pleasing and minimalistic and especially during the 2000's and before that. I am not a huge fan of his most recent work of the S/S 2015 collection but his other collection contains pieces I want in my wardrobe.
This is the interview that made me fall in love with him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment